Monday, May 23, 2011

Getting comfortable with your Doctor

I think it is very important to feel comfortable while you seek medical opinion with any doctor. I was fortunate to have Dr C as my first doctor who diagnose my fibroid when we seek medical opinion regarding fertility. He is one of the top notch fertility doctor in the country. I had such confident in him that I did not seek out a second opinion. I do think sometimes you might need to seek second opinion especially if you are not comfortable with your first diagnostic or you need subsequent prognosis of your condition.

Then I had Dr F when we moved to JB. He is a nice doctor who has all the patience in the world to explain everything in details. His friendliness definitely ease your mind when you are tensed up by all the questions in the world you are gonna ask him.

There was once that Dr F was away, and Dr S came from KL to replace him for a couple of days. I was not comfortable with Dr S. It was a follow-up of my cysts review but the moment he spoke, he said it could be cancerous.... DO YOU KNOW SCARY THAT SOUNDS?? Dr F never scare me that way! I mean you only see me once, and by looking at ONE ultrasound scan you scare the wit out of me. From then on, I had to make sure that if Dr F is going for vacation, I will wait for his return!

Since Dr F return then, it was all good. He did my cyst removal. He adviced us on next course of action - with all the IUI and IVF. Throughout the process, he explained as much as he can and he cleared all the doubt that we had. Even after 1 failed IUI & 1 failed IVF, I trust that he will be able to come up with a better prognosis and treatment for me.

So for anyone you out there, always see a doctor that you have comfortable with. And not just for the name-sake of him/her referred to by your friends, or just because the clinic/hospital is near your house, ALWAYS remember you need to trust your doctor. When in doubt, seek a second opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment