Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Amniocentesis

Amniocentesis is a prenatal test only to be performed by reputable medical practitioners to gather information about the baby's health from a sample of the amniotic fluid - the fluid that surrounds the baby comfortably while in the uterus.

The reason to have an amnio is to pre-determine if the baby has certain genetic disorders or chromosomal abnormality such as Down Syndrome.

The test is performed while the Mama is in the 2nd trimester (between 14-16 weeks, as per Dr F). Well this is an option test, not a compulsory test to be carried out. I was all set to see a Dr this Friday, but until recently I started to think about it... Does it make any difference for knowing? Will it affect my pregnancy journey? I suddenly have second thought about getting the test done.

Another doubt came when I read about how the procedure is done. Basically a needle is inserted into the mother's abdominal wall with the aid of ultrasound, the sac is punctured and the amniotic acid is extracted. It's scary having a needle poking INTO your tummy and puncturing the sac... What if it is overdone and the fluid would not stop flowing?! That thought kinda put me of risking the life of BB.

Until now, the appointment is still set but I'm still having some doubt :(

No comments:

Post a Comment