Thursday, June 10, 2010

Almost a week on the pills now

So it has almost been a week that I am on Microgynon 30, so far, the only thing that I realised about going on it is that my skin/complexion has changed. It's flaking and I've a mini-breakout, and this morning I woke up and saw this gigantic big ass pimple on my chin. :( Everyday I take one pill at exactly 12.15pm - I had alarm set on this time everyday to remind me. The pills come in a calender pack marked with days of the week to help you remember to take a pill every day which I find it pretty useful - in case you missed a day, you will know ;)

A bit more about the pills - Microgynon 30. It's basically a type of hormonal contraception pill that contains two active ingredients, ethinylestradiol and levonorgestrel. These are synthetic versions of the naturally occurring female sex hormones, oestrogen and progesterone. Ethinylestradiol (previously spelt ethinyloestradiol in the UK) is a synthetic version of oestrogen and levonorgestrel is a synthetic form of progesterone.

In a normal menstrual cycle, the sex hormones cause an egg to be released from the ovaries (ovulation) and prepare the lining of the womb for a possible pregnancy. At the end of each cycle, if the egg has not been fertilised the levels of the hormones fall, that's when your period will come.

So when you are on Microgynon, the pill works mainly by tricking your body into thinking that ovulation has already happened. This prevents an egg from ripening and being released from the ovaries.

This is to stop my ovaries from producing any egg this month during the ovulation period. Aduring the next ovulation, combined with another type of hormones, it should trick my body to releasing more than 1 egg.

So, it's 25minutes more to my next pill~

No comments:

Post a Comment